Do you wish for a cosier more energy efficient home?
Here's your chance to transform your frosty pad in to a snug sanctuary and slash your energy bills.
Cosy Up Britain is a brand new campaign all about making sure everyone stays nice and toasty this winter by making their homes more energy efficient.
Millions of houses and flats across Britain are as poorly insulated as rabbit hutches, leaking energy every day during winter and potentially costing homeowners more in energy bills.
Improving insulation will not only make your home nice and cosy, you can save cash too. According to the Energy Saving Trust, cavity insulation can save you up to £140 per year, while loft insulation can reduce your energy bills by £160.
The Green Deal is an energy-saving scheme set up by the Government, which aims to help improve the energy efficiency of millions of homes across the country. A Green Deal assessment will show you the improvements your home will most benefit from, not only to help you take control of your energy bills but also to do your bit for the environment by helping to lower carbon emissions.
There are lots of improvements you can make, like installing up-to-date heating systems, improving insulation and even fitting renewable energy systems, such as solar panels.
Free independent advice on how you can make energy efficiency improvements to your home is available from the Energy Saving Advice Service 0300 123 123 and more information on the Green Deal can be found by visiting www.gov.uk/greendeal
Free independent advice on how you can make energy efficiency improvements to your home is available from the Energy Saving Advice Service
0300 123 1234
and more information on the Green Deal can be found by visiting www.gov.uk/greendeal
John Walker, Essex
John lives with his wife near Colchester and had been thinking about making his home more energy efficient for a while. Living in a relatively old house he realised that he was actually paying as much each month on his energy bills as an average family of four so was determined to look into money saving options.
“It’s an old house with 'old house' problems" says John "and as we don't live in a town we are a little more exposed to the elements and it is always feels a bit more cold and wet. Along with having double glazing and insulation fitted to our home, we wanted if possible to look into whether our house would be suitable for renewable energy. As it turned out we have a south facing roof that means solar panels would work for us. Having looked around I got the finance to have the panels installed so we went ahead with it last year.
Having decided to have 16 solar panels fitted to his bungalow, John was really surprised with how quickly and easily the process worked, “we were up and running in 4 weeks and the company I dealt with were really flexible and worked around mine and my wife’s schedules. The installers and electrician came round on the same day and it was all done within a few hours. In the end it was a relatively easy process and we are already seeing the benefits with a warmer home and lower energy bills – it is a no brainer really!”
Jackie Stone from Southampton had a Green Deal assessment on her home in June last year. From this she had a new boiler installed along with a wireless temperature put in, insulation laid in her loft and new temperature control valves put on three radiators all paid for through a Green Deal finance plan.
Jackie said, "The process was quite simple and the Green Deal advisor who came to assess my home was able to talk through all the improvements I could make to help me use less energy.
"I had new heating controls, boiler and insulation put in and it has made a huge difference. Our home has been much warmer this winter and the difference from before is amazing – and we are using much less energy."
Terms And Conditions
GREEN DEAL COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- UK residents, 18+ only.
- Competition opens 00:01 on 27 January 2014
- Competition closes 23:59 on 17 February 2014 (the “Closing Date”)
- To enter, i) go to the URL for this competition, ii) enter the details as required, iii) provide your answer in less than 100 words in the space given to the following question “Why does the person you are nominating deserve this prize?” (“Answer”), and iv) submit your entry before the Closing Date.
- The person nominating is the “Nominator”. The person being nominated by the Nominator is the “Nominee”.
- The Nominator and Nominee must be different. A Nominator nominating himself/herself will be deemed void and not entered for this competition.
- Before nominating a person, the Nominator must ensure that the Nominee is 18+ and agrees i) to being entered for this competition, ii) to take part in any and all publicity should they be one of the winners of this competition including being mentioned on Real Radio, and iii) that they have the necessary permissions and consents in order for the Works to be commissioned at their own home in the UK as part of the prize.
- The first 100 Nominators who submit valid entries before the Closing Date will receive a free evaluation by a Green Deal approved assessor up to the value of £100 (“Mini Prize”). No Nominee is entitled to a Mini Prize. The Mini Prize is subject to a use by date and further restrictions which will be notified to the Mini Prize winners.
- All valid entries received before the Closing Date will be reviewed by a judging panel who will use the Judging Criteria (set out in clause 11). At least one member of the judging panel will be independent to NGN.
- The judging panel’s decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The judging panel will select the winner on who they think deserves the prize the most. The judging criteria will be i) how interesting the Answer is and ii) how persuasive the Answer is (the “Judging Criteria”).
- There will be three winners only. One prize per winner.
- The judging panel, using the Judging Criteria, will select the first winner from the pool of valid entries received before the Closing Date where the Nominator has selected that they heard about this competition from Real Radio. The remaining winners will be selected from the remaining valid entries received before the Closing Date regardless where the Nominator heard about this competition.
- Should no Nominator select the option of hearing about this competition from Real Radio, then the judging panel reserves the right to select the three winners from all valid entries received before the Closing Date regardless where the Nominator heard about this competition.
- The winners will be contacted within 7 days of the Closing Date. The winners will be required to submit their availability to receive the prize. Should any winner not have sufficient availability, is not able to take part in publicity, and/or is not able to take the prize as stated then NGN reserves the right to select an alternate winner without compensation.
- The prize is i) an assessment of the winner’s home by a Green Deal approved assessor, ii) the opportunity to have works (as recommended by the assessor) carried out at the winner’s UK home (“Works”). The maximum value of the Works will be £8,000 in total. Any unused balance will not be payable to the winner. Terms and conditions and further restrictions may apply to this prize. The Works, if accepted, must be taken by 17 March 2014 otherwise the winner forfeits this opportunity without compensation.
- The winner is under no obligation to carry out the Works. No cash will be given to the winner for or in connection with the Works under any circumstances.
- One entry per person. Multiple or bulk entries will be deemed void.
- The Nominator will retain copyright in their submitted Answer. However, by entering, all Nominators grant NGN a worldwide royalty-free perpetual licence to edit, publish and use part of or the whole of their Answer in any and all media (including print and online) for publicity and news purposes relating to this competition. NGN is under no obligation to publish any Answer. Please note, any publication of an Answer at any time does not mean that the entrant has won a prize.
- By entering, the Nominator agrees to take part in any and all publicity in respect of this competition including being mentioned on Real Radio.
- Where relevant no cash alternative in whole or in part.
- Promoter is News Group Newspapers Ltd (publisher of The Sun) (“NGN”).
- Full terms and conditions apply*.
*COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- These terms and conditions apply to all competitions (unless and to the extent that) the competition states otherwise.
- Unless otherwise specified, competition open to UK and ROI residents aged 18 or over except employees of News Group Newspapers Ltd (NGN), News Corp UK & Ireland Limited, and their associated, affiliated or subsidiary companies, their families, agents or any other person(s) connected with the competition, including third party promotional partners.
- Entry limited to one per person. The winner is responsible for ensuring they are able to accept the prize as set out and in accordance with these terms and conditions, in the event they are unable to do so then the NGN reserves the right to redraw the prize.
- Entry is free but entrants should be aware that they may be subject to local data charges depending on their own individual arrangements for Internet access.
- An eligible entrant must be an individual, and may only enter on their own behalf. Entrants must submit an entry in the form requested by NGN under this promotion including their name, address and e-mail address.
- By entering, all eligible entrants agree to abide by each and all these terms and conditions. Misrepresentative or fraudulent entries will invalidate an entry. Where a competition involves a voting process: offering or receiving any incentive for voting is not permitted and will invalidate the vote, and may disqualify the recipient of the vote. NGN reserves the right, with or without cause, to exclude entrants and withhold prizes for violating any of these terms and conditions. NGN reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions. Any amendments will be published on the Website.
- Unless otherwise specified, the winner(s) will be drawn at random from all correct entries received before the closing date. Winners will be notified within 28 days after the closing date. All reasonable endeavours will be made to contact the winner during this time. If a winner cannot be contacted or is not available, NGN reserves the right to re-draw another winner from the correct entries that were received before the closing date.
- NGN reserves the right to publish entries (including parts of entries) other than the winning entry and publication does not necessarily mean the entrant has won a prize.
- Entrants will retain copyright in their submitted entries, however, by entering, all entrants licence NGN a worldwide royalty-free perpetual licence to edit, publish and use each entry in any and all media (including print and online) for publicity and news purposes.
- There is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable and no part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
- Winners may be required to submit valid identification before receiving their prize.
- The Editor's decision is final and binding on the entrants. No correspondence will be entered into.
- NGN will not be liable for technical, hardware, or software failures of any kind or lost or unavailable network connections that may limit or prohibit an eligible entrant's ability to participate in the competition. Other than death or personal injury arising from the acts or omissions of NGN or its employees, NGN will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of the winner’s (or their guest’s) enjoyment of the prize.
- By entering, any subsequent prize winners agree to allow the free use of their names, photographs and general locations for publicity and news purposes during this and future promotions by NGN (The Sun) or any associated or subsidiary company of News Corp UK & Ireland Limited.
- Completion and submission of an entry, registration slip or e-mail will be deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- NGN reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify or supersede the competition (including altering prizes) if, in our sole discretion, a competition is not capable of being conducted as specified. NGN reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal value in the event that circumstances beyond their control make this unavoidable.
- The promoter of this prize draw is News Group Newspapers Limited (address below)
- For a list of winners please send a stamped envelope to News Group Newspapers Competitions Department, 3 Thomas More Square, London, E98 1XY, England, stating for which competition you would like winners’ details.
- Competition rules published in connection with this competition in another medium form part of these rules.